Pages

Thursday, 27 November 2014

Financial Orbit wrap 27/11/14

Five sentences or graphics which sum up the Financial Orbit output over the last 24 hours across the website, twitter account and anything else thought about...

1. Many European bonds traded at new record lows today as the combination of QE hopes and continued low inflation/general disinflationary conditions was apparent.  I say most because one stood out in going the other way as fears over their fiscal position continued: 


2. I muse about Poundland and conclude that their shares need to be below £3 (or x3 the price of anything in their stores) before they become interesting to me. 

3. I acknowledge that you can make a strong thematic story for the aluminium company Norsk Hydro but it does not work for me despite some clear positive shifts in pricing and demand for their product: 

4. Other Investor Days that I look at include those of the UK food retailer Morrison's and the gold company Acacia.  In my opinion the former is still turning around whilst the latter is improving off a low base but it is no Randgold (which to me remains the stand-out gold mining sector investment):

5. And then there was OPEC.  Where to start?  Bespoke Invest noted this in the aftermath of the 'no cut' conclusion: 'Worst day for WTI (-7.5%) since 5/5/11, and worst day in even longer for 15% of the borrowers in the junk bond market'  meanwhile I also enjoyed this which is broadly consistent with this solid (and short write-up) here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment