Thursday, 15 October 2015

Financial Orbit wrap 15/10/15

Five sentences or graphics which sum up the Financial Orbit output over the last 24 hours across the website, twitter account and anything else thought about...

1. This has proved to be the most popular post I have put together in a few months:

'You may well have seen this excellent list of 'The 129 finance people you have to follow on Twitter' published earlier today. It truly is an excellent list and I enjoy the commentary, updates and insights from many of the names mentioned and I would encourage you to follow as many as you can.  
'Finance Twitter' is growing fast however and looking through the list I felt some excellent tweeters were missed out. Comprised solely of those overlooked by the Business Insider list (but who in my view fulfill the criteria of knowledge, wit, insight and acumen) in alphabetical order here is 'Financial Orbit's 29 additional finance people to follow on Twitter' '

(Link to the full list here)

2. Markets – ‘market concerns are rising over divisions at the top of the Federal Reserve when to lift interest rates’ (FT).  No wonder this proportion is pushing up!


This uncertainty reflected in US10y yields closed <2%, reduced GDP forecast as JPM has cut Q3 hopes to 1% vs 1.5 and the U.S. Fed's Beige Book concluded ‘Economic Activity Continued To Expand Modestly From Mid-August Through Early October’.  Q3 estimates looking increasingly shabby...


3. I use my latest my latest ShareProphets column to write why today's poorly received update from Burberry is actually a buying opportunity (link here).  

4. The tobacco giant Philip Morris International reported today...and the numbers impressed me (link here):

However numbers from Syngenta were not so great...and I explain here why I think management have to get their act together or potentially face an activist. 

5. Looking briefly at the numbers from Citigroup and Goldman Sachs the former impresses me far more.  Read here why this is the case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment