1. It really has been a strong start to October...
I liked this too via @HaidiLunCNA:
Rupiah +10% (best week in 14 years -10% YTD)
Ringgit +7% (best week since '98 peg -16% YTD)
And some further striking statistics today including...the best day for zinc (see the graphic below) in the modern financial market era as Glencore (whose shares from the low have doubled in nine days and now stand above the recent placing price) sharply cuts back its production.
"Too many u/w energy and miners!
Certainly gets harder from here, earnings season to show that individual company dynamics/management do matter hugely"
2. I write up this week's PepsiCo numbers (link here). At prevailing still a 'hold' for me despite some impressive pricing and related trends...
3. Meanwhile looking at Yum! Brands I conclude that it is time to buy the stock...despite the problems they are currently having in China (link here).
4. Monsanto has also struggled recently and having fully appraised this week's numbers here (link here) I conclude that despite some tactical challenges (including potentially letting go of 12% of their employee base) the structural positives for the agricultural seed and related company are simply too positive not to consider the stock a buy here:
5. University vs apprenticeships - thoughtful chart from today's Financial Times: